Monday, July 7, 2008

The UnHillarys

I have been stoned by baboons. Note, I said "by" and not "with." The latter would have been decidedly more enjoyable than the true horrer I faced. And, no I am not encouraging monkeys to smoke; I am very well aware that providing tabacco products is illegal in certain states. It is yet another reason why Vermont is known as the "no fun" state.

What is my point? I can take criticism pretty easily (I am not sure what was worse, the baboons throwing rocks or flashing their inflamed asses at us to underscore the point they were making by throwing rocks). But, I find it considerably harder to deal with unintended encouragement. And, therefore I find myself befuddled by the pro-PUMA comments Ted has left on my post about the comments on the noquarterusa.net website. I appreciate the traffic for traffic's sake. And I appreciate Ted taking the time to post not one, but two comments.

But, I hadn't realized that I was being ambivalent. So perhaps I should clear something up: I think a significant percentage of the people who post on noquarterusa.net are, for lack of a better term, lunatics. Those quotes from my previous entry, I found them crazed, not profound. Blinded by anger and irrationality, the authors of those comments spewed some of the most venemous, incoherent nonsense I have ever seen on the web. They were driven by a hatred of Obama that is beyond pathological.

In the interest of fairness, I visited the site "Ted" recommended "PUMAs 4 Palin." I cannot figure out what, from the two sole posts that say nothing substantive, would compel anyone who agrees with the Democrats on policy issues to vote for Alaska's grossly inexperienced freshman governor. Frankly, my cat's asthmatic wheezing is more meaningful than anything I read either on the blog or, for the most part, in the comments. Palin was an inconsequential local, elected official who won largely because the incumbent Republican governor was awash in corruption and may be indicted some day. She is nothing more than Republican blank slate who, troublingly, appears to hate polar bears.

If it isn't obvious, I am not trying to convince any of these sociopaths to vote for Obama, because they are Republicans masquerading like Clinton supporters to gain publicity and to sell the knuckleheaded, lazy reporters (like the nihilists at Politico.com) looking for a story to write during an exhausted presidential campaign a fabricated tale of Democratic disunity. And as someone who has many Republican friends, the noquarterusa, Hillaryis44 sociopaths are in no way representative of conservative ideals. Just their own, in some cases bigoted, depravity.

Hopefully that clears things up. But enough of that. The anti-Obamaites on these sites love to compare him to Chauncey Gardiner from "Being There." By engaging them, I fear I am not heeding the words of another character in that movie, Ben Rand: To raise your rifle is to lower your sights.

No comments: