Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Dario Revisted

Danny D has pointed out that I have been a little harsh in my assessment of Dario. Was he lip syncing? I'll take Danny D at his word, but I am almost 100% sure that the dude doing the sign language for Dario at the Capital Pride performance was faking. Seriously, what does the arm movement from the "cabbage patch" mean to deaf people?

Frankly, I was just happy my second experience at a predominantly gay place/event went better than my first. Regardless, Dario accomplished one mission: he made me interested in knowing more about him. A guy whose musical collection is more of the Hugh Masekela, Fela Kuti, Mulatu Astatke and Mos Def vein wanted to know about this young purveyor of synth pop.

Finding information about Dario is surprisingly harder than I thought. There were significantly more Darios on the web than I had anticipated. Dario Francitti takes up a lot of the Dario oxygen in the web. I had allocated myself an hour to research Dario, and Francitti distracted me for 45 minutes of it. What can I say, we share two things in common: we like to drive fast and want (and in his case does) want to [insert what ever verb you deem appropriate for a newly married man] Ashely Judd.

To narrow the search, I entered "Dario singer" on Google and ended up with this clown. His hypnotic cube had me wanting to kill the Moors or whatever it was the Gypsy Kings song he was covering was instructing me to do. I took a crap after listening to his (their?) cover of "Me and Mrs. Jones;" I am not sure if the two events were connected or not.

Probably the coolest Dario I came across was Dario Moreno, who despite the latin sounding name was a Turkish Jew who won fame in France doing bossa nova. I wished he had been my dad.

I admit I am a computer illerate, but eventually I found Dario's web site again. According to Dario's bio, he "seemed destined for greatness at the early age of three." That is impressive. The only time I felt destined to be anything was when I was appointed the class grammarian by my 9th grade English teacher. After that, I thought I was destined never to get laid.

Being able to sing is a rare commodity. M is a phenomenal singer. She has no idea whether I can sing or not. She's never asked, taking my gutteral speaking voice as evidence enough that it wouldn't be worth finding out. About the only thing I sing well is the Michael McDonald part of the duet he did with Patty Labelle, "On My Own."

Dario has made it onto several programs, has put out a couple of albums, and has performed with some major artists. Something I will never can or will do. I, on the other hand, have won a read-a-thon when I was 8, once hugged Mikael Gorbachev (af, told Spike Lee he has to "step it up on the next movie," once got into an nearly violent stare-off with Bob Dole, and sat together with Oliver North on a long uncomfortable flight from Salt Lake City to D.C. Significance? We report, you decide.

1 comment:

Danny D said...

Thanks Joseph for giving Dario a second chance. I know it may seem strange for someone to be so offended over someone they don’t even know, but in the time that I've been a Dario fan I've seen him in concert 5 times and every time it's like a new experience. I think the reason I like him as much as I do is because I've read many interviews he's done and I can relate to him. Dario came from nothing and is making a name for himself, and I admire that.

About a year ago some tabloid magazine in the west coast ran a real trashy story about him that was completely untrue and his family suffered from it. Months later the magazine released a statement apologizing for being dishonest and causing any pain. I cant even imagine what that’s like.

If you want to learn more about him Google darioonline, you'll get about six pages of info on him.

And honestly I do hope someone from his management team gets in touch with you. Just by reading your blogs I must say you are very articulate and word savvy.