Wednesday, April 30, 2008

April Is The Cruelest Month

Every year around February, I start asking people when they remembered spring coming the year before. "Didn't it come early last year? March?" I ask hopefully. Those who know me know that I hate winter. I hate coats, long sleeves, and closed-toe shoes (although I do love a scarf).

Every year, around April, I get fooled. You know that saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?" Well, shame on me every year since I moved to this weather deficient area of the universe. Why do I do this to myself? Why do I think that the 70 degree weather that surprises us mid-April is going to stay, when every year it's followed by weeks of rain/cloudiness/45 degrees and windy? Why do I cast aside my boots in favor of flip-flops with such joy and abandon when I know I will be fishing them out of the back of my closet in a few days? Because I want summer to come. I love summer. I just love it. I love melting ice cream and bbqs -- watermelon dribbling down your chin and running through the sprinkler -- sitting on the grass and feeling the sun on my face. And man, do I love the beach.

T.S. Eliot famously wrote that April is the cruelest month. I think it's because he lived in the D.C. metro area.

7 comments:

P said...

T.S. Eliot famously wrote that April is the cruelest month. I think it's because he lived in the D.C. metro area.

Ah, but then he would have said August, enit?

M said...

I would choose the swampy heat of August over the schizophrenia of April any day.

P said...

absolutely not feeling you on that one. but I'm from ny. the humidity is just not for me.

Suja said...

no, no, no, you got the saying wrong. "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice..you're not gonna fool me again."

Food Auntie said...

Is that the Indian version of the saying? WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOU?!?!?

Unknown said...

More back to Texas!!! :-)

Unknown said...

that was MOVE