Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Crime And Punishment

Until I recently became a victim of crime, I used to be someone who believed that a healthy combination of rehabilitation and deterrence is the proper way to punish a criminal. But, then it happens to you. You feel violated. Cliches like "how could this happen to me?" run through your head. At night, you scream into your pillow, "Why? Why?"

I sat on a line, waiting and waiting. I let the authorities know what happened. They did their best to make the situation workable. Then, I asked, "What was the balance on my [lost] Smartrip card? Should be $18 or so."

"It was last used at 1PM today, and you have a balance of $13." Son of a bitch! I had lost my Smartrip card at some point yesterday. And some asshole found it and decided to use it. They knew there was money on the card. They knew it was not their money. It was my fucking money (ok, my government public transportation subsidy...but still!)

Don't they chop off your hands in Saudi Arabia if you steal. Seems an appropriate pennance for the scoundrel who decided to take me for a free ride.

No comments: